Welcome to the Peas Pod

Welcome to the Pea's Pod. This blog is designed to be a light hearted sharing of my thoughts, ideas and adventures as a mommy. I hope that you will find it entertaining and insightful (some of the time) as you join in our roller coaster ride called life in the Peas Pod. If this is your first visit to my blog please read the post entitled Welcome to The Pea's Pod to find out more.



Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Welcome to the Pea's Pod - the journey begins

Welcome to The Pea's Pod, I’m a brand new mommy and this is my blog. I’m starting this blog for two reasons - the first is the reason why most people blog, to put your thoughts on 'paper', to get them out of your head and maybe someone (usually just family and friends - because they love you and don't mind that you're not the best writer in the world or that you can't spell) will find it interesting enough to follow. The second reason is much less selfish and hopefully more meaningful.

You see I am a new mom without any sisters, cousins or friends with babies. I'm the first in my family and the first of my close peer group to have a baby. That means that I am navigating the unchartered waters of motherhood with no one for advice.
No one that is except those people who barely know you who feel its ok to tell you your baby is overfed or that Tanie in the Pick n Pay queue who wants to give you advice on what you should be putting on his rash and of course those family members who you love and admire but who had babies when I was a baby and, like everything else the world, things in the world of parenthood have been updated in the past 20 plus years and no I'm not going to give away my age so stop fishing.

All the other moms I've made friends with during my pregnancy have a sister or a friend who've done this at least once to ask advice from. Advice on the important stuff like sleep patterns and when to start solids and advice on the seemingly unimportant but costly things like what teething toys work, which breast pump should you buy, what brand of nappy will last through the night and which pediatrician will be nice to you, know children, be taking new patients and be worth the fortune they charge you. This is the crux of my second reason for creating this blog. I want to share the things I've learned with other's who may be in the same boat as me; others who are being tossed and turned on a sea of advice with no trusted voice to follow. I am by no means an authority on anything but I can share what I've learned through trial, and reading and asking questions and many errors.

I hope that you will find the pieces on this blog entertaining and helpful. I welcome comments or ideas which might help others of things which have helped you. However please remember in the world of moms and child rearing every one has and is entitled to their own opinion and there are no right or wrong ways to rear a child. So please keep you comments helpful and loving in the true spirit of support. After all its hard enough being not getting any sleep and having milk throw up down the back of your shirt which you only notice when you’re half way through your shop at the supermarket without having other moms coming down on you.

I tend to do most of my blogging on a mobile device and don't always have a chance to finish posts when I start them so please look for the date at the beginning of the post to know when it was written rather than the post date. Also please do excuse any funny spelling or finger errors in the typing and grammer with small children running around there is seldom time to do a proper proof read. 

 And so begins the journey ......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. Please know I read every one, even if my tired brain doesn't allow time to respond.