Welcome to the Peas Pod

Welcome to the Pea's Pod. This blog is designed to be a light hearted sharing of my thoughts, ideas and adventures as a mommy. I hope that you will find it entertaining and insightful (some of the time) as you join in our roller coaster ride called life in the Peas Pod. If this is your first visit to my blog please read the post entitled Welcome to The Pea's Pod to find out more.



Saturday, February 19, 2011

Edible Finger Paint


I wanted to introduce my son to painting (he is currently 8mnths old) because I believe that you're never to young to experience the thrill of creativity. I started to look online for finger paint recipes but all the recipes I found were made from sugary substances like instant pudding or corn syrup and food colouring. Oh dear none of these recipes go along with my first-time-mommy-control-freakness-no-sugar-till-you’re-12mnths mindset. So being the creative, preschool-teacher minded mom I am I decided to come up with something my little one could paint with,  and eat (which will inevitably happen), which would be the right constituency (not too running or it goes every where).

The brain wave for the following recipe descended upon me while I was cooking breakfast one morning. It worked very well except for one small issue – blue berries stain! So my advice is, strip your little darling down to their nappy for their artistic session.


 Edible Finger Paint Recipe

Ingredients:
  • A handful of Fresh Blue Berries or other fruit/veggies for colour
  • Maize Meal Porridge – I used the Purity version and made it according to the instructions for one serving.
Method
  • Boil the blueberries in the amount of water called for in the porridge recipe for 3 – 5mintues.
  • Now add the porridge and cook according to packaging.
  • Allow to cool.
  • Add extra water to create desired consistency.

Other edible ideas for colours (I haven’t tried these yet but from making my own feed I know these foods make pretty colours. Let me know how they work if you try them)
  • Mango or gooseberries – yellow
  • Peas – green
  • Carrots – orange
  • Raspberry - red

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. Please know I read every one, even if my tired brain doesn't allow time to respond.