Welcome to the Peas Pod

Welcome to the Pea's Pod. This blog is designed to be a light hearted sharing of my thoughts, ideas and adventures as a mommy. I hope that you will find it entertaining and insightful (some of the time) as you join in our roller coaster ride called life in the Peas Pod. If this is your first visit to my blog please read the post entitled Welcome to The Pea's Pod to find out more.



Saturday, May 14, 2011

When parents pull a Rookie

So I'm sure you are all familiar with the idea of the rookie mistake it's when you make a mistake that is so stupid only someone new or inexperienced would make it. So in our house when you make a mistake and you should have known better we call it a rookie.

Well over the past two weeks we have pulled a serious rookie. Curious George has been waking up every night sometime between 1 and 3am crying and when we bounce him back to sleep he drift off but ends up screaming as soon as you put him down again. First I thought he had lost his sleep rhythm during our recent family tragedy. Then I thought it was teeth and was giving him Calpol in the middle of the night. Then I thought perhaps it was growing pains as I know that human contact has helped with this in the past.

However last night he woke around 11pm and I bounced him back to sleep very quickly and put him down. But I was cold in his room even though the monitor said if was 21 degrees in the room (we have the heater on). So as usual when mom is cold the child (or husband sometimes) must put on a jersey. So I got his duvet and put it over him.

Just as an aside before I reveal our rookie, since it’s started getting cold Curious George sleeps in a short sleeve body vest, a t-shirting fabric onesie (baby gro) and a thin sleeping sack. The heater is on in his room and often the humidifier as well. We also put a cellular blanket on him before we go to bed.

So this morning he woke at 5am, I was completely dumb founded when I looked at the clock as I woke to feed him. I really couldn't believe it. What on earth was different this night to all the others? I know this is a question parents often ask themselves and seldom is there a specific thing you can pick out and repeat the next night. However I'm sure you have guessed by now what our rookie was and what we can repeat in future.

Our son was cold of course! Doh what a rookie, for a family with a winter baby, to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for your comment. Please know I read every one, even if my tired brain doesn't allow time to respond.